Volunteering for Cat Rescue
Want to help the stray cats of Christchurch, or do you just love cats? We are a volunteer-based organisation so rely on caring (or cat-loving!) people like yourself to carry out our work. Become a volunteer today!
Here are some of the activities you can help with:
- Fostering rescue cats and kittens in your home to help with socialising them for re-homing. We provide everything you need including the support of Fosterer Managers who will help with all your needs when it comes to fostering. You can help by having one of our rescue kittens in the comfort and warmth of your very own home.
- Rescuing/trapping cats and kittens. You can join our rescue team and learn how to trap stray cats for desexing, and kittens for rescuing and rehoming. Help us win the battle of cat overpopulation by desexing one stray at a time! You will receive full training from one of our experienced rescue team members. Dedicated volunteers are also required to be trained up as Rescue Assistants to help our Rescue Coordinator when you are available. Full training will be provided but you’ll need your own car.
- Administration help with managing volunteers, fundraisers etc. See below for management positions we are currently seeking to be filled. We are also looking for people to help with putting together our monthly e-newsletters.
Promoting desexing – desexing companion and stray cats is so important. We promote the early-age desexing of kittens (kittens can be safely desexed from 800 grams in weight) and believe all cats and kittens should be desexed before adoption. You can help by spreading the desexing message to family, friends and the public. One easy way to do this is through social media – check out our Facebook page for pics you can share with friends. If you know someone with an undesexed cat, please read this article and talk to them about getting their cat fixed.
- Fundraising – help us with our monthly supermarket collections by doing a two hour shift, place a donation box or cat food bin at your workplace or in a local shop, or sell Trade Aid chocolate bars to friends and workmates. You can also help with our fundraising stalls on the day or with organising.
Baking for stalls – we regularly hold fundraising stalls at events selling some of our yummy vegan baking. If you are able to help us out by doing some baking for us please sign up as a volunteer and you’ll be informed of our upcoming stalls. We have heaps of easy recipes available if you don’t know any.
- Cat Taxi – help transport cats to and from the vet, and in other situations where transport is needed for our rescue cats.
Post-operative cat care – join our roster for feeding and checking on our cats after their desexing surgery at the vet in Linwood. This is done at the end of the day so can be done after you’ve finished work! People working or living near Linwood are best for this job. These cats are the unsocial ones we’ve trapped for desexing and releasing as part of our trap, neuter, return program.
Professional help – do you have a skill you’d like to offer to Cat Rescue, such as vet nursing, IT, editing, graphic design, photography, marketing, accounting, or another skill that might be useful to us? Please let us know by filling out our volunteer form.
To apply to be a volunteer, please complete our volunteer form.
Did you know that Cat Rescue is predominantly run by volunteers in their spare time? You can help us manage our workload and do bigger and better things to help cats by applying for one of our voluntary management positions. Current positions needing to be filled are listed below. Please complete our volunteer form and tell us which position you are interested in.
Cat Rescue does not have a shelter but instead we have our rescue cats and kittens fostered by volunteers until they go to forever homes. We have a large list of fosterers and in kitten season (summer-autumn) especially we have a lot of kittens in foster care. Your job will be to help manage our kittens in foster care, as part of a team of 2-3 fosterer managers. You’ll be assigned some of our kittens in foster care and you’ll need to keep up regular communication with the fosterers, ensure they have everything they need, arrange vet appointments for desexing etc or when a kitten is sick, ensure kittens are being well socialised, and obtain photos and info from the fosterers to advertise the kittens for adoption. You’ll also need to maintain our database of cats/kittens in our care and keep up regular communication with our head fosterer manager and other Cat Rescue managers.
You’ll need a computer and internet connection at home, and a landline. No experience is necessary (full training given) but you’ll need to be organised and have good communication skills. This job can be done in your spare time so can still be done around a full time job.
Funding grants are an important source of income for our charity but we are in need of someone to help us apply for more grants (ie. filling out application forms). You needn’t have any experience doing funding applications, but you’d need to be organised.
We need your help with organising and running Cat Rescue stalls at markets and events. Stalls promote our charity’s work and raises much-needed funds. Ideally you’d be available on weekends (currently we hold a stall once every month or two) to help run the stalls with the help of volunteers.
Do you have website skills, are good with Twitter and Mailchimp for sending e-newsletters? Then we need you!
We are in great need of an organised person (or persons) who can be our Fundraising Manager to help us raise funds to help more stray cats! Cat Rescue often organises fundraising raffles, hypnotist shows and other events and activities that are vital in bringing in income to cover our vet bills and other expenses. However because we do not have someone dedicated to this role, we are not able to do as much fundraising as we would like. We do currently have volunteers who coordinate our donation box program and our supermarket collections, but we really need more help with other fundraisers. No experience is required; you’d just need to be enthusiastic and organised!
Cat Rescue Monthly Meetings
Every month Cat Rescue Christchurch has a volunteer meeting. Coming to our meetings is a great way to see what we do and how you can get involved. You can also meet the team and share your ideas! Drinks and nibbles are provided.
If you are interested in coming along please contact us for more details. If you have completed the volunteer form you will receive our email updates about our meetings and other events. We hope to see you soon!