Congratulations on adopting a cat or kitten from Cat Rescue Christchurch!
Create a Cozy Cat Home
Help your new kitty settle in to his/her forever home. Create a safe environment that supports healthy growth and stimulates their playful, curious nature. We recommend you are prepared with the following items before you bring home your new furry family member:
- • Food and water bowls
- • Good quality food – appropriate for your cat/kitten
- • Litter box
- • Cat litter
- • Slotted scoop
- • Bed and bedding
- • Carry cage
- • Scratching post
- • Toys, e.g. wiggle wands, feather toys, balls, shoe lace (not string as it can be chewed off and ingested)
- • Kitten treats for dental health and training rewards
- • Grooming tools — brush, comb and nail clippers
- • Cat nip (dried in toys or fresh) – optional but your cat will love you for it!
Caring for Your Cat/Kitten
Commit to being a responsible cat carer. Caring for cats can be a great way to teach lessons to children, but remember, the responsibility ultimately lies on your shoulders.
Timing: Adopt a kitten when you know you can schedule more time at home and have the patience to handle her occasional mishaps and misbehavior.
Investment: Caring for a cat requires a financial investment — from the initial adoption fees to ongoing food, pet insurance, vaccinations, vet fees, cattery costs when you are away, and incidental costs.
Tasks: Daily duties include feeding, refreshing water, training, cleaning up, cuddling and play. Weekly activities include thorough grooming (daily for long-haired cats). Periodic responsibilities include vaccination boosters and health checkups.